39 Hobbies that make you money
Do you have a hobby? If not, you should find one. Hobbies are a great way to occupy your free time, get a chance to be creative, or can become a much-needed mental break from all of the everyday responsibilities. Did you know that you can take your hobby and turn it into a side income? There are so many hobbies that can make you money. The best part is, that you can start today!
If you don’t have a hobby don’t worry. Keep scrolling for a list of hobbies that can make you money.
How to Get Started Making Money from a Hobby
Evaluate your current hobby and ask yourself “can I make money from this?” If the answer is yes, awesome! If you aren’t sure, keep reading to see if your current hobby is listed. If you want to start a hobby or a side income, I suggest checking out the list too.
Choose a hobby based on your interests and passions. You keep the fun as part of the process. Remember, some hobbies require investments with your time and money. Make sure you pick something that piques your interest and won’t break your bank.
Crafts that Make Money
If you are a crafty person, don’t let your talent go to waste! Put your crafts and products out into the world and make some money.
- Painting – If you are talented with a paint brush consider selling your artwork at a flea market or local craft fair. You can also scan your artwork and sell prints online using websites like Society6.com and Creativemarket.com
- Wood Work – If you are into woodworking find local craft fairs and shops to sell your products. You can make signs, plaques, and more! My husband did this for a few years and made a great profit. You can also sell online on websites like Etsy. But keep in mind that you’ll have to deal with shipping.
- Sewing – Not many people know how to sew. You can sell what you create or charge for alterations and fixing clothes.
- Jewelry Making –Set up an Etsy shop with your jewelry! Before you start, you’ll need to create inventory.
- Flower Arranging – If your town has a farmers market set up a booth with arranged flowers, or promote your craft for parties and events.
- Candle making – Homemade candles are the best! I will always spend more on a unique candle.
- Balloon Arches – Balloon arches are so popular for showers, weddings, birthday parties, and more. If you are good at making them, sell them as a service. Most people that host and plan a shower don’t have time to put one together.
- Soap Making – You can sell on Etsy, local stores, craft fairs, or farmer’s markets.
- Flipping Furniture – I’ve seen people online that make 2K+ per month flipping furniture. Buy at thrift stores, garage sales, Facebook marketplace, or pick up furniture on the curb. Flip it and sell it on Facebook Market place, store booths, or craft fairs.
- Pottery – Sell your plates, bowls, vases, pots, and whatever else you can make. Pottery is unique and beautiful.
Hobbies for Free
A lot of hobbies require you to pay for materials and equipment. But some are free to do which means more money in your pocket.
- Music Teaching – Teach kids how to play an instrument or give voice lessons.
- Coaching – A lot of student-athletes train throughout the summer. Offer your services!
- Public Speaking – Do you have knowledge of a specific subject, experience, etc? Reach out to organizations that hold events and ask them to pay you to speak.
- Home Decorating – If you love and are good at decorating homes offer it as a service for others. Realtors will hire people to stage homes for them. That could be you!
- Charcuterie Tables – Charcuterie boards/tables are the best but take so much time to prepare. Sell your time to prepare them for parties, showers, and events. The client pays for all the groceries so all you have to do is shop with their money and then prepare the table.
Hobbies at Home
Sometimes we just want to be home. Or we don’t have the energy to go somewhere else. Here is a list of hobbies that you can do without leaving your house.
- Baking – People will pay for bread, desserts, cookies, and more. You can make special holiday cookies for Valentine’s Day, Easter, and Christmas. Bake cakes for birthday and holiday parties. Or just bake and sell because people like homemade bread and desserts.
- Gardening – Sell your harvest at a Farmer’s Market.
- Gaming – How do you make money gaming? Well, you can broadcast on Twitch or Youtube, make tutorials, and Livestream with commentary. You can grow your following and then monetize.
- Making custom products – If you own a Cricut or Silhouette machine you can create custom products and sell them locally or online. You can use a print-on-demand website to design t-shirts, mugs, pillows, and more. Ex: Printify and Printiful.
- Reviewing Products – People want to know more about products before they purchase them. You can start reviewing products online on a blog, youtube channel, Instagram, etc. For example, you can get sponsors to pay you to review their products, you can get free products, or sign up for affiliate programs.
- Beekeeping – If you have bees, start selling their honey.
- Food Preservation – If you enjoy canning vegetables, and fruits, or making jams/jellies think about selling them to a local farmer’s market or fruit stand. Always check with your city to make sure you don’t violate any ordinances or laws.
Many hobbies can serve others. Here are some service-based hobbies that can make you money:
- Babysitting – Babysitters make $15-$30 per hour now.
- Photography – A photography business can really take off if you want it to. You can start building your portfolio with mini sessions. Secondly, you can ask a photographer if you can be their second shooter at a wedding.
- Petsitting – Pet sitting is in high demand. People prefer their pets to be watched in their homes vs. boarding them.
- Event Planning – If you love planning parties start an event planning business. Especially if you know local vendors. You can start by reaching out to people at work or in your church.
- Cleaning – There is no shame in enjoying cleaning and doing it for other people. I know a woman who made more money per month cleaning homes than when she worked at an office. However, you do need to use your own supplies and equipment. Unless the client is okay with you using their stuff.
- Organizing – People need help organizing their homes and finding systems to stay organized. You can help them!
- Lawn Maintenance – Lawn maintenance is in high demand. People don’t have the time to mow their lawns, weed-eat, pull weeds, and trim their landscaping. By all means, if you have the equipment to do it offer to help them for a fee.
Many hobbies that make money are online. These hobbies include:
- Writing – Are you good at writing? If the answer is yes, look into freelance writing. Freelance jobs can help you make a little extra cash. Some people make full-time incomes freelancing. There are multiple freelance websites, like upwork.com, to help you find jobs.
- Graphic Design – Just like writing, you can do graphic design freelance work. Small businesses are always looking for people to help them create logos, product design, and more. Or you can sell your designs on websites like creativemarket.com
- Web Design – So many Businesses need websites, but not everyone is good at creating them. You can help them with your mad web design skills!
- Blogging – Blogging is a great creative outlet and way to make some extra money. Blogging takes time but there have been thousands of bloggers who turned blogging into their full-time jobs.
- Social Media Manager – If you love social media, consider being a social media manager for someone. Businesses, bloggers, and influencers need someone to manage their social media.
- Start a YouTube channel – Youtube is similar to blogging, you can create fun, interesting content and build it into a full-time income. The great thing about youtube is you can make it whatever you want.
- Webstore – If you want to open a store online check out, Etsy, Amazon, Society6, and Redbummble. The best part is that they are free!
- Proofreading – Businesses, authors, bloggers, and more need a proofreader for their content.
- Online Surveys – The most popular website for taking surveys is Swagbucks. I use them often and they have other ways to make money. Another survey website I highly recommend is prolific.co.
- Travel Agent – Being a travel agent doesn’t have to be a full-time job. There are agencies that will hire you as an independent contractor so you can work on your own time. If you are obsessed with traveling and enjoy planning vacations consider becoming one.
Final Tip for Hobbies that Make Money
First, remember when you choose a hobby, you choose one that brings you joy and is authentic to who you are. Secondly, You might have to try a few out before you find out which one is the right fit. Thirdly, making money takes time.
You don’t have to invest a lot of money into a hobby to make money. There are so many options that cost no money to start. What hobby are you going to try? Comment below and tell me what you are going to try or what your hobby is!