*This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.
A step-by-step guide on how to start a blog
How to start a blog? I heard you want to know.
Maybe you want to share your creativity with the world. Your mommy hacks, DIY projects, food recipes, you feel like you have a story or knowledge to share with the world.
Maybe you want to make some money with your blog. Make some extra income on the side or leave your 9-5. It’s possible!
Or maybe you are looking for a community. In blogging, you will find like-minded people who share the same interests and passions as you.
This post will guide you through every step you need to take to start a blog with Siteground.
The best part is that it will only take 10 minutes or less!
Steps to start a blog
- Find your niche
- Sign up for web hosting
- Register a domain name
- Review and Complete
- Install WordPress
Step 1: Find Your Niche
What are you going to blog about?
Are there topics you could talk about all day long? What are your passions?
Is it crafts, DIY projects, baking, marketing, fashion, makeup, money, parenting, or a mix of everything?
You don’t need to be an expert in your niche. But you do need to be passionate enough to continually learn about the topic and share it with your readers.
Do not choose a niche because you think it will be easy to monetize. Trust me when I say, you will get bored writing about those topics if you are not passionate about them. Monetizing a blog takes time, but there are multiple ways to monetize any niche.
Step 2: Sign up for Web Hosting
Web Hosting service allows you to make your website accessible to the internet. There are multiple web hosting services. I use SiteGround.
Site Ground is easy to use, they have lightning speed service, live chat support, and helpful resources for any problem that you may run into. I’ve literally shut down my website on accident (I suck with technology) and within 10 minutes they had it up and running again.
1) Select Your Plan
- StartUp Plan is perfect for new bloggers. You get 1 website hosted with up to 10,000 visitors, a free e-mail account, WordPress free install or transfer, and 24/7 support.
- GrowBig Plan is a great value for money offer, including the option for multiple websites and the SuperCacher that greatly improves a WordPress and Joomla website speed. This is the plan I use. If you have the extra money, I recommend this plan or the GoGeek plan. GrowBig has unlimited website hosting for up to 25,000 visitors, free e-mail account, free backup restores, free website transfer, and 24/7 support.
- GoGeek Plan is perfect for people with e-commerce and larger sites, or more geeky development needs like staging and GIT integration. You get unlimited website hosting for up to 100,000 visits, free e-mail account, free backup restores, free websites transfer, create a copy of your website to test out new themes and designs, and 24/7 support.
Step 3: Register Your Domain Name
A “Domain” name is the name for your blog.
To register a new domain name:
- Select the “Register a New Domain” circle
- Enter the domain name of choice
- Press “Proceed”
- If the domain is available, Siteground will redirect you to the registration page.
- If the domain is not available, choose another one and try again.
For domain transfer (you can only do this with the GrowBig or GoGeek account)
- Select the “I already have a domain” circle
- Enter your existing domain name
- Click “Proceed”
Related Posts: How to Set SMART Goals
Step 4: Review and Complete
- Review your web hosting plan and add-on any extra services. I added the SG Site Scanner. It scans your website daily and informs you immediately of any hacks or threats to your website.
- Confirm the boxes at the bottom and click “Pay Now”
Step 5: Install WordPress
Congratulations on signing up for your website! Now you need to install WordPress, which is a content management service (CMS).
- Log into your SiteGround account
- Click on the “My Accounts” tab
- Click the red button “Go to cPanel”
- In the “Auto installers” section, click on “WordPress”
- Click the blue “install” button
- Fill out all required information
- Press “install”
To access your WordPress
- Open a new tab or window
- Enter your domain name/wp-login (www.mynewwebsite.com/wp-login)
- Push enter
- Enter your new username and password and log into your WordPress and Blog.
You are now ready to start creating!!